Stephen G. Newman is a shareholder of Newman, Comley & Ruth P.C. His practice emphasizes estate planning, trust settlement and probate administration. He also provides business law services.
Mr. Newman is a member of the Missouri Bar and Cole County Bar Association. He is also a member of Wealth Counsel, LLC and Estate Planning and Probate Law Committee of the Missouri Bar. He started the Cole County Estate Planning and Financial Advisors Council which regularly meets to discuss current estate and financial planning issues.
A recipient of Paul Harris Fellow in 1991, Mr. Newman was named Rotarian of the Year for 1994. He served on the Jefferson City Board of Education from 1996-2005, and was President from 1999-2000. He is a past chair and member of the Planned Giving Committee of the Capital Region Medical Center Foundation. He is a lifetime member of the Board of Governors for Capital Region Medical Center.
Mr. Newman donated his legal services to establish the Jefferson City Public Schools Foundation in 1998 and served on the board of directors and as chairman of the endowment fund for a record 11 years. He was inducted into the Foundation's Hall of Leaders in September, 2010. He also donated his legal services to establish the First United Methodist Church Foundation, served on its board of directors since its inception in 1998 to 2004 and served as president of the Foundation from 2002-2004. He donated his legal services to establish the Jefferson City Rotary Club Local Community Foundation in 1991, and served on the board of directors as President.
Mr. Newman was born in Cape Girardeau, Missouri in 1954 and has been a resident of Jefferson City most of his life. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1977 from Missouri University in Columbia, graduating summa cum laude. He was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa. He earned his juris doctor in 1980 from Missouri University in Columbia. He and his wife Tammy have three daughters.
Areas Of Practice
- Estate Planning
- Guardianship and Conservatorship
- Trust Settlement
- Probate Administration
- Business Law
- Missouri, 1981
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri, 1981
- University of Missouri Columbia School of Law, Columbia, Missouri
- Missouri University, Columbia, Missouri
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Honors: Dean's List - 8 Semesters
- Major: Political Science
- Missouri School Board Association Annual Conference, Lake Ozarks, Missouri, "Creating a Public School Foundation: Best First Steps"
- Missouri School Board Association Annual Conference, Lake Ozarks, Missouri, "Growing a Public School Foundation: Best Next Steps"
- National School Foundation's Inaugural Conference on K-12 Education Foundations, Chicago, Illinois, "I Wish That We Had Known These Things 8 Years Ago"
- Missouri Association of School Administrators Spring Conference, Lake Ozark, Missouri, "Benefits of Establishing a School Foundation and How to Do It"
- Missouri Association of School Administrators Spring Conference, Lake Ozark, Missouri, "School Foundations - Get One Started"
- River City Habitat for Humanity, "The Value of a Will"
- Missouri Bar Estate and Trust Institute, "Ethical Scenarios"
- NBI, The Probate Process from Start to Finish
- NBI, Estate Administration Procedures: Why Each Step is Important
- Missouri Bar, How to identify a probate case and select a proper procedural path
Honors and Awards
- Rotarian of the Year from Jefferson City, Missouri Rotary Club
- Hall of Leaders Inductee for Outstanding Volunteer by the Jefferson City Public Schools Foundation
- Curator, Jefferson City Public Schools Foundation
- Paul Harris Fellow Plus 3 from Rotary Foundation
- Art Filey Fellow from the Jefferson City Rotary Club Local Community Foundation
- Distinguished Alumni Recipient of the Cole County Chapter of the Mizzou Alumni Association
- Roger Sherman Recipient for Distinguished Service, Missouri Society, Sons of the American Revolution
- Martindale Hubbell, AV Rating
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Rotary, Member, 1985
- Missouri Bar, Member, 1981
- Missouri Bar Board of Trustees, 2012 to 2018
- Missouri Bar, Estate Planning and Probate Law Committee for 35 years
- Missouri Bar, Charter Member, Planning Committee for Annual Institute on Estate, Trust & Elder Law, 2016 to 2018
- Cole County Bar Association, Member, 1981
- Wealth Counsel, LLC, Member, 2003
Past Employment Positions
- Brydon, Swearengen & England, 00/1980 to 00/1993
Pro Bono Activities
- Capital Region Medical Center, Lifetime Member of the Board of Governors
- Parliamentarian for Annual Meeting of Board of Governors
- Cole County Estate Planning and Financial Advisors Council; Chairman
- Sons of the American Revolution - Christopher Casey Chapter; President 2012-2013
- Reader and Monitor Wolfner Talking Books and Braille Library, 2013 to 2015