John T. Brooks is an Associate at Newman, Comley and Ruth P.C. He worked at Newman, Comley and Ruth as a law clerk during law school before joining the firm as an Associate. John's primary area of practice is general civil litigation.
John grew up in Columbia, Missouri and graduated from David H. Hickman High School. He attended Truman State University in Kirksville, Missouri for his undergraduate degree and earned his law degree from the University of Missouri - Columbia School of Law. While at Truman, John worked for the school newspaper as a journalist.
John earned the highest grade in five courses while in law school, including courses evaluating the best appellate brief and best trial advocate. He competed on the law school's trial advocacy team, and was recognized for his accomplishments with the R. David Ray Trial Advocacy Award and the Roscoe Anderson Award for Excellence in Advocacy. As a third-year student, he was inducted into the Order of Barristers - a national organization recognizing the top advocates in each graduating class.
John lives in Jefferson City and enjoys hiking, trivia, and watching his hometown Missouri Tigers.
- Missouri, 2018
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri, 2018
- University of Missouri Columbia School of Law, Columbia, Missouri
- Truman State University, Kirksville, Missouri
- B.A. - 2015
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: Truman President’s Distinguished Leadership Award
- Major: English
- Minor: Communication
Honors and Awards
- R. David Ray Trial Advocacy Award, Two-time Recipient
- Roscoe Anderson Award for Excellence in Advocacy, Two-time Recipient
- Order of Barristers
- Dean’s List
- Phi Delta Phi Legal Honors Society, Member
- Elwood L. Thomas Inn of Court, Pupil Member
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Trial Practice
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Electronic Discovery
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Advocacy & Research § 2B (best appellate brief)
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Corporate Compliance
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Introduction to Privacy Law
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Missouri Bar Association
- Cole County Bar Association